Tuesday 30 September 2014

London Food: Bob Bob Ricard

My friend Sam has always been raving on about Bob Bob Ricard in Soho. Every time I walked past I thought the place looked rather intimidating, and somewhere where older gentlemen went to have fancy whisky! Not sure where this presumption came from but it probably had something to do with the gold themed exteriors and great-gatsby-esque decor!

Anyway, I decided to book dinner here after hearing a few other people had loved it.


I dressed up in my finest even though it was a Monday, and slicked my hair back due to a bad hair day! I love this dress and have had it for a few years, it always comes in handy for occasions like these.

Dress Twenty8Twelve (Old season)
Shoes Zara (Similar here)
Bag from Bosnia (Similar here)




The restaurant has cute little (but spacious) booths that look like train booths, and every booth has a clever little 'press for champagne' button!

The crystal glasses were so beautiful I wanted to steal them


The walls were adorned with intriguing portraits and unique one of a kind wallpaper...if you only look at the surrounding walls you'd have a feeling like you were in someone's old vintage home...


AMBIANCE *****
Bob Bob Ricard is a restaurant with an English and Russian menu, with mostly Russian staff. It's probably a little strange that they have this mix, as the decor and ambiance to me was more reminiscent of 1920's American glamour. The details all around were beautiful to explore, with old Victorian portraits, bespoke patterned wallpaper, marble tables, curtains next to every booth, and gold tones and brass well, everywhere! They definitely spared no cash when building this place. Although it looks like a playground for the richest, there was a mix of restaurant goers there including people just having cocktails at the bar, and the overall ambiance was warm and enjoyable.

SERVICE *****
As we entered Bob Bob Ricard, we were greeted by a friendly doorman, and a hostess at a reception area where our jackets were taken. They then took us to our booth, and made sure we had something to drink straight away. I have to mention that a few people have said the service here is not great, and I had a very different experience. The service was impeccable, the staff friendly and attentive, and the food came quickly.



OK I couldn't resist!


DRINKS *****
I'm not a wine connoisseur but Bob Bob Ricard claim they are known for the best value fine wine and champagne list in the UK. We opted for a signature cocktail which was great, and a couple of other drinks during the meal. They had a vast choice of drinks and am sure there was something for everyone on the menu so thumbs up.




The sides we ordered with our beef Wellington were soft mashed potato and mashed peas


The gravy perfectly complimented the beef


FOOD ****
For our starter we had the Waldorf salad (image above) which had bits of endive, celery, apple, grapes, radish and roquefort cheese, and was served with honey dressing. The cheese was a little overpowering but we survived.

The best part was the main - we opted for the beef Wellington for two, 48 day aged, which took 45minutes to be made. Every minute of the wait was worth it, as this beauty was one of the most delicious things I've ever tasted. The scotch beef was cooked to perfection (medium rare) and wrapped in pancake and pastry but was so, so soft. The whole thing was very filling and I wish I had space to eat the whole thing!

One thing I didn't really like was the amount of blue cheese on the starter, and the general look of the plates. I felt that for the atmosphere, style and price of the restaurant, the plates were a little on the cheap side, surprisingly. Something else that bothered me was the fact that there was foie gras in the beef wellington, but this was not mentioned on the menu. I was a little upset that I had just eaten that without knowing, even though I was actively trying to avoid ever eating it.





For dessert I chose the Bob Bob Ricard Signature Chocolate Glory - I love a dessert that entertains! It was pretty cool - the waitress delivered a shiny gold ball next to a few raspberries and gold leaf flakes on to the table...she then poured hot dark chocolate on top and voila - the ball opened to reveal bits of chocolate brownie, mousse, meringue and passionfruit orange jelly. As you can see below, it was pretty damn good as I polished that plate!!!






Bob Bob Ricard also has a stunning Club Room where you can dine in an even more extravagant, intimate atmosphere with entertainment near you. You can book via the website but you will need a minimum of 4 guests in your party to book here.

A meal for two at the restaurant with two drinks each, bread, one starter, two sides and desserts costs around £200

1 Upper James Street, W1F 9DF



Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© YES to adventure | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig