Friday 22 February 2013

London: Car boot sales

I LOVE car boot sales. I'm one of those people who will get up extra early to be there first, and one of those people that doesn't bother bartering because when I see something I want, I just have to have it right there and then, no messing about! Car boot sales are the place to find those vintage gems, home decor pieces and great bargains. For example you could find an entire tea set for £5 whereas on Portobello Road a single tea cup and saucer would set you back £45! Don't get me wrong, I also love Portobello Road, but unless you want something specific and are ready to splash the cash...you need to look elsewhere.

I was recently interviewed by a journalist about car boot sales and appeared in the financial section of the Mail on Sunday. The article mainly focused on how one can save money going to these, and where it is best to go, etc. and I spent the day shooting for it which was fun.

See a list of my favourite car boot sales and some images below, by photographer Russell Sach.






BATTERSEA CAR BOOT SALE (Sundays 12pm-5pm)
You can find anything here from make up, toys and books to antique furniture and home decor inspiration. Perhaps the best thing about this sale is that not that many people venture out to Battersea for it so it's never too crowded in the morning, plus every time I go there are some big designer clothes bargains to be found! It's best to go around 11 for the 12pm opening if you can, and it costs just £3 to enter.

NORTH LONDON VINTAGE MARKET (Usually every first Saturday of the month 10am-4pm)
This market is located near my flat in Crouch Hill so it's just a 5 minute bus ride away. It's very small and takes place inside a church hall. Entry is only £1 and the market mainly has stalls filled with home ware items from the 1900's to the 1980's. They have furniture, jewelry, clothes, cookware, frames and anything you can think of. Again this is a great place for a bargain, I never return home without a cute vintage piece and last time I bought a farmer's milk jug which I use as a vase.

SHEPPERTON CAR BOOT SALE (Saturdays 7:30am-6pm)
This is one of the most genuine and worthwhile car boot sales...hence the location outdoors in a massive field in Surrey! It's ages away but is the best one nearest to London where you can literally find ANYTHING...and for cheap! The only equivalent I found is in Manchester or way out of London. I've only been once and have not stopped thinking about it since, really need to go back when they open again on April 6th!

NAG'S HEAD CAR BOOT SALE (Daily from 7am-3:30pm)
Another one near where I live and with free entry, the sale has some great finds such as antique books, CDs, instruments, art, vinyl and of course vintage items.



Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© YES to adventure | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig